Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Flaxing Away!!!


I finally did it!!! Yes, I ordered my dehydrator.... I was having one of those "down" weeks, where everything was seeming to go wrong. For a gal with a credit card and a wish list, there is definitely one way to make her feel better. I ordered my dehydrator from Upayanaturals and once again, I was very impressed with their service. If you need to order items, and live in Canada, I strongly suggest them.

I have to say, that dehydrator ran non-stop for the first week. Apples and Bananas were the first to be tested, along with grape tomatoes and mushrooms. I know, mushrooms seem like an odd choice. I was in the grocery store, explaining the wonders of the dehydrator to the kids and told them they could pick out something to dehydrate that weekend. Kristen picked mushrooms. I had my doubts, but I have to say that they reminded me of pizza. Strange but true... try a few for yourself and you will see what I mean.

After over a year of trying to be totally raw, falling on and off the bandwagon a few times... I must admit that having a dehydrator is a must for anyone who truly wants to be raw. I know it is an expensive purchase, and one that I contemplated for over a year, but also one that I am 100% satisfied that I purchased, and one that I know will keep me on my raw journey.

My favorite experiment (and great for guacamole or salsa):

1 cup flax seeds soaked in 1 1/2 cups water
3 vine ripened tomatoes
3 green onions
2 cloves garlic
4 soaked sun dried tomatoes
Sesame seeds

Process all through a food processor and dehydrate on Teflon sheets. I have found, through trial and error, that the thinner you can make these crackers the better (although there is such a thing as "too thin") :o)

Happy Dehydrating - can't wait to have my next batch with some home made sauerkraut!

PS - Still looking for a REALLY GOOD homemade salsa recipe... let me know if you have one, please

And humbly, I must say, that I am honoured to have made the "Top 50 Raw Food and Lifestyle Blogs". It is an honour to be mentioned alongside such amazing blogs! I think that maybe I shouldn't stay away so long next time.... so although it is well past New Years, here is to a New Year of Raw Food and Blogging....
blog comments powered by Disqus