Friday, March 28, 2008

Juicing: A Family Affair


Last week, my daughter participated in a 30-hour famine that was organized by her high school. She went without eating from 11:00 on Wednesday evening, until 10:30 Friday morning when the school served the kids a continental breakfast. In order to participate in the famine, you had to raise $100 in pledges to donate to the cause. The kids would attend classes like normal on Thursday, but had to remain at the school until Friday morning (Good Friday).

So, on Thursday morning, I dropped her off, sleeping bag and mason jars in hand. See, the nice thing about this famine, was that the kids were aloud to bring water and juice to drink! Seeing as I had just ended my Juice Feast, and was still using my Juicer, it was just a "no-brainer". Last Thursday, I woke up early and made her some fresh juice. She was a little upset about the "mason jar" approach, but she went with a citrus juice and a carrot juice none-the-less. I think that when the hunger set in, she really didn't care too much about what the juice was in!

She had shown an interest in my Juice Feast, and wanted to participate in one herself. I told her that she would have to wait until she was older, but agreed to this "mini-feast" for a worthy cause.

Every day since, the juicer has made the familiar "varooom-chunk-chunk-crunch-varooom" noise. I have had the opportunity to hear this from another room in the house, as she is rather enjoying fresh juice every day and creating all the new flavours that come with experimenting.

I hate to admit this, but I think my Juicer has replaced my smoothie-maker as appliance of choice on my kitchen counter. It was the best $120.00 that I’ve ever spent!

I love when my children follow my lead (on healthy choices anyways!) and I am very proud of her for participating in this Famine!


5 comments:

Hanlie said...

I think the greatest gift we can give our children is to teach them to be healthy. She is gorgeous!

Keely said...

Your daughter is quite beautiful. That's another way she takes after you!!!

HiHoRosie said...

Yes, your family is beautiful! And that is so great you're able to teach them about eating and drinking healthy.

I love to juice too. So yummy and light yet filling.

Ed said...

I think it's great that your daughter is being taught to eat better while considering those with less choices! The Famine is a great way to introduce our kids to the reality of our planet! Too many people go to bed hungry! She is beautiful outside and inside!
Grace and Peace,
Ed
www.realfoodforlife.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

Thanks everyone for the kind words and compliments!

Having wonderful kids and raising them to the best of my ability is a gift I am fortunate to have!