Monday, January 21, 2008

Conquering the Mountain

Sometimes that phrase can be symbolic. Today, for me, that phrase was literal.

Well, I guess as literal as it can. In Hamilton we have an escarpment; however, people in Hamilton like to refer to it as the Hamilton Mountain. "Conquering the Escarpment" didn't have the same effect for a blog title.

In an attempt to add more exercise to my weekly routine, I decided to attempt to climb the Hamilton Mountain Stairs.

There are five different staircases that ascend the Hamilton Mountain. I have chosen to attempt the Dundurn Stairs - 356 steps up then 356 steps down. I suggested the idea to my kids this morning, 50% in favour 50% against, so we will see whether it is something that they will join me on in the future. A few girls at work have decided to do this jaunt after work when the weather permits. Will I be joining them on a regular basis? Lets see if I can conquer the mountain first!

Dundurn Street is a pretty street when you first enter the City of Hamilton. It has Lake Ontario at one end, and the Hamilton Escarpment at the other. There are some beautiful Century homes at the base of the escarpment, maybe I will find myself lucky enough to live in one of them.

I made it to the top! I am very proud of me! My girls are excited too, and want to conquer the mountain with their mother. Think I will have to get used to the exercise first, three times a week (m-w-f) before I start adding a weekend jog (or shall I say crawl) up the escarpment.

UPDATE: It is currently snowing and blowing out there, it is 4:36 pm in the afternoon, the girls at work are still planning on leaving work at 5:00 and conquering the mountain again today! So, just to let you know, if you don't hear from me for a few days, the mountain swallowed me whole, send out the st. bernard with the barrel around his neck!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...I'm impressed! I have never attempted that feat, but I know my brother did it all the time when he was training for the fire department. Way to go!!

shannonmarie said...

I'm proud of you. Like the outdoor shot. Nice.

Keely said...

Yeah, Kathy!!! Way to go!!!

Kathy said...

Jenn - Thanks, the second time was easier than the first! The girls here want to do it every day (gulp). Are there stairs at your cottage??? Have to keep the momentum going! Say hi to your brother for me!

Shannon - thanks, and same goes to my new friend "Mary Anne" - don't forget, you need an old married couple to complete the island tour! But I hear they have lots of coconuts there!

Kathy said...

Thanks Keely - I'm proud of your 16 out of 30 days of BES too! Keep up the good work, I enjoy your daily adventures! Say hi to Bob for me.

Jenny said...

thank you Kathy, i'm happy to be introduced to your musings too. . .
x jenny

Kristen's Raw said...

Stopping by to say HI and have a super day :)

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

as a matter of fact...there are stairs at the cottage...but you may have to go up and down a number of times to match your mountain climb!! we may all start out with you, but twice up and down and I am ready for a cocktail...lol...