Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I hope this tastes good!


... that is what I was saying to myself this morning, as I juiced (in my smoothie maker) 1 bunch of celery, 1 litre of water, 4 pears and ginger. Once I blended it all together, I strained the mixture through cheesecloth (as my health-food-store had never heard of a nut-milk bag, I’d better order one off the internet). I actually strained it twice, and I could have probably strained some more. Just a side note, make sure, if you are juicing using my straining method, you plan your shower for after the juice making experiment!

This concoction made 3/4 of a 2 litre mason jar. I also juiced 6 clementines (and strained) with ½ litre of water. This was really tasty, and was my mid-morning juice.

I did this to attempt a juice feast, just for today. This is my next adventure, together with Tigerlily. We have not officially started yet, as it takes a lot of research, planning and preparation. I just wanted to give it a "one day trial" to see if it was something that I could picture myself doing.

A juice feast is a daily regiment of 4 litres (possibly more) of freshly squeezed juice plus water. The Juice Feasting Website has a lot of valuable information on taking care of every aspect of your routine while on a juice feast. It is a lot of material, and I want to make sure that I have a full understanding before I attempt a full feast. A juice Feast can last for a period of up to 92 days!

"Juice feasting is about getting all the calories you need in a day (e.g. 1500 for an average woman) directly from juices. You still lose weight and detox, as your body has space to work on things other than digesting solid foods, but there is no feeling of ‘lack’. It is a fast, effective and highly beneficial way to cleanse, rehydrate, alkalise and re-build your body."

I started my day off with one litre of water, added the juice of ½ of a lemon, and 3/4 tsp of MSM. This is the recommended daily start to a juice feast on the Juice Feasting Website.

I wasn’t quite sure what MSM was (organic sulphur) or what its benefits were (worth the read!). I have to admit that I was a little worried, when I picked it up at my health-food-store last night and saw that it was sulphur - yuck!

I began feeling a bit nauseated at work, and after reading, it seems to be an initial side effect of the MSM. Better try just ½ tsp tomorrow and work my way up.

I don’t think I want to attempt a 92 day juice feast. That seems a bit too much for me to grasp at this time. Angela Stokes has a plan for a five day juice feast, which is probably more what Tigerlily and I will partake in. Maybe after 5 days, we may attempt a longer feast.

I will report on my full days experience tomorrow, but I will say that my GREEN GOOP is rather tasty!

2 comments:

Keely said...

Well... if you need inspiration on your juice feast, both Heidi of Raw Food, Right Now! and Terilynn of Inspiration:Life are feasting!!! Terilynn started over 61 days ago!!!

Kathy said...

Thanks Keely, I have been reading some of Heidi's, so I'll have to check out Terilynn's.